Tuesday 6 December 2011

The Anticipation of Graduation

This is definitely a change from the usual Tuesday blog post.

I must admit, I have run out of snapshot diaries, which (joy to the world) shall be returning in 2012, and will be entitled the ‘Career Search Diary’. I hope you enjoy them.

Therefore, instead of the usual professional blog post about handy tips and hints that would be useful for a publishing intern, you are getting this instead.

If you’ve already read up to here then well done, I don’t expect to keep you for long mind.

Anyway, I’ve been thinking about all these changes with my blog posts, and of course, my inevitable graduation from the University of Surrey July 2012 and so, I have decided to write this blog post, which to be honest will probably end up being a short monologue more than anything else.

Careers this week have definitely been on my mind, to say the least. I am not sure if it’s because last week was the first week of December, and finally the end of the year is approaching. Or that the ‘Official Santa’ on my Twitter page is getting me way too excited about Christmas, and the evitable New Year. For example, I found out today that its only 19 sleeps till Christmas – you learn something new every day. It could be because of a multitude of reasons but alas, I’m already thinking about that daunting prospect of becoming a graduate.

I have to be honest with you; I have no idea what I’m going to do next year. In fact, part of me was considering doing an MA, but that is just down to enjoying the student lifestyle a bit too much. Other parts of me were just hoping that I could stay writing my blog forever – fun for me but boring for you. Nevertheless, they are all a no.

Unfortunately, I’m going to have to take that dreaded plunge and become a full fledged graduate, and if you trust everything you hear in the media, then nearly all of us are UNEMPLOYED. I must confess, if I’m unemployed this time next year I shall probably go mad. Can’t stand not having things to do.

In the meantime, I’m trying to make myself feel better by looking at the graduate schemes. Most of them are still open but some have already closed. I’m really shocked that these schemes have closed so early – give us a chance please.

I don’t know about you, but I keep seeing all these sales schemes. Newsflash, I may be into publishing but I’m definitely not a salesman. However, saying that, I will be applying to the ‘non sale’ graduate schemes, because I like the idea of stability. Turns out, so do the other 300 plus graduates, that will be applying.

Looks like its stiff competition and tough times ahead for the publishing intern. It’s certainly no understatement that I need to WORK HARD.

2 comments:

  1. Hey,

    I'm an undergraduate at the University of Aberdeen and I've been keeping up with your blogs as I'm also considering a career in publishing. Your proactive attitude is very inspiring! I just wanted to say that, personally, I really don't think you have anything to worry about when it comes to finding a job after graduation. You've already had a wealth of experience, you're clearly passionate about the industry, and these will definitely work in your favour!

    Thanks for all the invaluable advice so far. Best of luck to you and everyone reading this :)

    - Harriet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Harriet,

    Thanks so much for your comment, I really appreciate it.
    Also, I wish you the best of luck in your studies, and search for work placements.
    In case you haven't already, please feel free to subscribe to my blog, and I'm so glad you have found it useful thus far.
    Keep in touch.

    All the best,
    Steff :-)

    ReplyDelete