Saturday 3 November 2012

My Graduate Success: My Rollercoaster Ride

Of course, many of you know by now that I was lucky enough to secure a job before I graduated. However, unknown to most was that this job was temporary to cover maternity leave. I was optimistic that my contract would be extended and that I would eventually become a permanent employee. 

It was a Monday like any other when I found out that my contract wasn't going to be renewed. 

A meeting with both of my bosses early that afternoon rang alarm bells in mind. I hadn’t had a meeting with both of them since my interview so I thought it likely that they'd be discussing my contract as the end date was nearing. I was excited, curious and scared. Despite the fact I know my contract was coming to end, I was certain that due to how well I had performed on my job that it would at least be extended for a few more months. I dreaded prospect of becoming an unemployed graduate.

I was taken to a different floor. I entered the room and sat in front of my two bosses. Numerous thoughts about how much I enjoy my job entered my head and I was sure that this meeting would have a positive outcome. But I was kidding myself. One of my bosses opened the conversation ‘As you know your contract is coming to an end....’, I sit and let them continue, ‘unfortunately we won’t be renewing your contract’. My mind paused as the words hit me and I sat silent. Not to sound big headed but I was in a state of shock. I was hoping that my hard work over the months would have paid off. 

In the end, I resorted to answering ‘fine’. I couldn’t think of anything else to say, but of course it wasn’t fine. Before this point, I was convinced that the day would never come and when it did, I wasn’t sure how to deal with it.

Some weeks on I now face the prospect of finding another job. A once publishing professional turned back to a publishing intern – really disappointing. But rest assured readers, the disheartening experience won’t affect my desire for a job in the publishing industry. I’ve learnt a lot, left on good grounds and received glowing feedback from the people I’ve come into contact with. If I had my time again I wouldn’t change a single thing.

However, it isn’t all doom and gloom for me. Luckily, the positive impression I made and the relationship I’ve built with HR means that my journey at IPC isn’t quite ending yet. Fortunately, last week I was back doing some temp work in the advertising department, which I thoroughly enjoyed. At the moment, I can’t wait to see what the future holds. I'm a big believer in fate and I know that everything happens for a reason. I'm simply meant to be elsewhere.

Watch this space. 

No comments:

Post a Comment